BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 05-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Lurker

Default 4WD 500cc "original" buggy

Hey guys im from Timaru New Zealand and just stumbled on you guys by chance.
I'm currently building a 4wd buggy powered by a honda Gl500 v twin i have the chassis 75% fab'd up im now mounting the motor and designing the steering and suspention {ball joints and front hubs at the mo}.
i'll be trolling around looking for good ideas so if any of you guys have any feed back i would love to hear it .
with a bit of your help it wont be long before

Last edited by bad-mod; 05-14-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome-What is Kiora? Would love to see some pic's of it so far!
The GL1500 is a solid powerplant that's for sure. Is your engine equipped with the starter reverse? What are you using as a transfer case to get 4WD? What type of front hubs are you thinking about using? Is the driveline going to be CV's or "U" joint axles or solid axles?

Last edited by metalstudman1; 05-12-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Lurker

kiora = maori greeting

- Gl 500 no starter reverse
- suspension double wishbone front and rear with inboard coil overs on the front and regular on the rear
- Drive line ,GL 500 -> "short" chain drive to fixed drive shaft between two identicle LSD 500cc ATV diff's -> half shafts with C.V's to the hubs that im fabbing up to get correct geometry. Drive shaft will have two carrier bearings to support the length and any drive deflection,Two uni joints also for alignment (design engineer bother in law is doing calcs for span speed and strength), Also on the drive shaft i hope to have a ring gear to drive in reverse with 12v starter motor out of a small car{Select N then hit button to engage rev}.
{all this is still in the design stage at the moment}
- 12v winch for those sticky spots
- the brakes I'm hoping to have a simalar setup th jaguar rear diffs with inboard disc's on the front and rear.

Phew i tink thats it i hope it all works out as planned im sure there will be plenty of hitch's on the way , But i wanted a good challange that's why the 4wd.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Lurker

ill post some pics soon as i get time to load em up there are a few of the chassis and front diff and suspension progress . just got the motor for $0 so thats getting the sort out now as well as the front lower wish bone prototype
Old 05-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Lurker

still need to work out a high ratio steering rack yet to if you have any ideas ??
Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry I miss understood the engine-GL1500 was in the Goldwing that's why I asked about the reverse. Nice snag on the 500 though!!!! Nice that you have an engineer friend to help with the calculations too. Can't wait to see it!!!
What is your thinking when you're considering a high ratio rack? most of all the racks that will fit into these buggies are already a short/quick steer (1 full turn lock to lock) when mounted up with a 12" steering wheel, the quicker the ratio the LESS stable you are at higher speeds- especially if the surface you're driving on isn't perfectly smooth.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Lurker

yea it's great im an engineer to but he's a "desk engineer " so i got the fab skills and he has the number and design skills.

The racks that your talking about are what i want, i am just looking through bmi karts.com, holly cow they have the stuff

I also want paddle style shifter to keep hands on all the time

Im at work at the moment so ill post some pics up when get home
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Lurker

http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/.../off%20roader/
Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Looks good so far! It's going to be a big buggy. Diff.'s look plenty heavy duty.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Lurker

wheel base is around 2250mm and width is around 1350mm.

still fits my trailer easy as