BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Lurker

Default Buggy drivetrain help

I've received a buggy and now have to get it running. I have a new Titan 5 hp motor. Need some help getting the power to the rear wheels. Is there a place to get replacement hubs for the 41mm rear axle? I was looking to move the sproket over to line up with the new location of the motorshaft. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE_163.jpg (92.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_164.jpg (93.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Lurker

1 5/8 hub should work perfect. I get mine from here http://www.*************.com/powerTr...ame=powerTrans
Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Lurker

Thanks. The 30T sprocket looks like what I need. Now I think I screwed up the other end. I got a centrifugal clutch for the 3/4" motor shaft, but it is for #35 chain. Can you get a clutch for #50 chain?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Heavy Contributor

If that doesn't work looks like you may have to use a jackshaft... you'll have to make a mount for it.

I don't know if you will find a clutch with a 3/4" shaft that uses a #50 chain... most of those are 1" shafts and bigger, and I've not found one that uses #50 chain, most that I see go up to 40/41 chain.

Is this go kart just for on road use only?
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.

Last edited by T3beatz; 07-06-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Lurker

I dont know a whole lot on industrial type engines and such so I dont know. If you couldnt find the clutch, could you just weld a 30t #35 sprocket to say a smaller tooth #50 sprocket and hub for the axle?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Contributor

Get the 1" clutch and an adapter.Tink they have them at surplus center.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Heavy Contributor

The reason I ask if this is for on road only, if you intend on running this off road the centrifugal clutch will burn up pretty quickly, they are not made for many hills or off road conditions. You will want to have the axle sprocket a lot bigger than 31T, it will be hard to move with a small sprocket like that on it... but when it gets up to speed it will be very fast! Your gonna need something along the lines of a 50-60T sprocket

I take it this is a conversion from a 90/110/125cc, or a gy6 150?

Best suggestion I can give you is to sell the axle you have and get a 1" keyed axle around the same length. Then you can find axle sprockets and hubs that can fit, they are all over the place. It will be much easier to put it together and you will not have to weld the sprocket or sprocket hub in place just in case you have to move things around one day.
Try ************* for parts.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.

Last edited by T3beatz; 07-06-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

What type of buggy/kart is this?Tomberlin? Got a pic of the whole thing? The buggy looks heavy just by seeing the rear framing. It appears a CVT is needed, if using a TAV2 or similar that will locate the chain over to the pasenger side- getting a longer jackshaft for the driven may get you over to the sprocket carrier.IMO- The centrifical clutch idea will be a waste of money unless it's a mega dollar racing one and then I doubt it'll last.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Lurker

Thanks for the comments. Its an offroad unit. It used to have a 150cc GCY. Replacing it with the Titan motor. I'm putting together a jackshaft arrangement for now. The child really wants to ride it. The clutch is 12T, that will be running a 12T sprocket on the jackshaft. Then a 16T sprocket from the jackshaft will be running the 31T axle sprocket. I was trying to reproduce the gearing from the old motor (16T to 31T).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE_168.jpg (94.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Heavy Contributor

Well, the problem is the old motor (GY6 150), had a CVT (the auto transmission) and internal gearing also... so from the crank shaft to the output shaft the gearing goes through so much already by the time it gets to the axle the ratio is changed a lot and that's where it gets it's power from (it spins a lot more RPM's than the industrial engine so stepping up the gearing ratio doesn't hurt the speed as much.

So with the gearing you have now with that engine, low end power will be lacking, you need some kind of CVT/torque converter system to get a little more out of it. A driver and a driven... you can find them cheaper than this but this is an example of what I'm talking about. http://www.*************/item/Comet-T...-or-218355-646
Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Lurker

Oh. So much to learn. The torque converter will provide better performance from the motor? I believe it can bolt right up to the motor.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

T3beatz is exactly correct. Yes the CVT (TAV2 model) will bolt right on as it has an engine plate that holds the driven unit. Right now with the gearing you described it isn't going to move much. For a centrifical clutch you'd need the lowest tooth sprocket as possible for the clutch and jackshaft and then the largest axle sprocket that won't hit the ground just to get it to go anywhere(especially with the size tires your daughter wants). This kart/buggy is MUCH heavier (I'm assuming since we haven't seen it yet based off your description) than a yard kart that would use a centrifical clutch. Even with a TAV2 you'll need a much taller axle sprocket than 31t (around 50+t) I understand you have a new motor- this buggy/kart is going to be really dissappointing with the Titan 5hp engine even with a TAV2 (20ish mph) -But that may be your goal.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Heavy Contributor

Hey MSM, he posted a Pic in post #9 of the buggy. It looks to be one of the many 150cc frames that are out. Def gonna need more engine power, are some good gearing to get up to speed.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Supporting Vendor

What was wrong with the GY6 motor. Would be much cheaper and a whole lot less work to repair it.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Heavy Contributor

That's what I was thinking Tom...
Old 07-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Heavy Contributor

cazkart did you figure out what your gonna do? Stick with the motor your installing now are go back to the original gy6?