BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Lurker

Default Is the stock gokart rear end strong enough for a motorcycle engine?

Hi everyone,I was wondering if the stock rearend in my kart will be able to stand up to running the 600cc suzuki motorcycle engine i was going to put in it,A friend of mine says it wont because of the power output of the engine,But i've seen quite a few carts on you tube with 600cc engines and bigger all running what appears to be stock rear ends and they all seem to run fine
Old 04-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

IMO- Your Manco isn't the ideal kart for a 600cc transplant but it may stay together. I'm thinking that your engine is about 90hp+. I don't think the axle will be your biggest hurdle, suspension and steering will be. I don't see many on Youtube with larger engines installed in the yard kart type that have a 2nd video!!!! or you see them building them and you never see it driving. The only way to know is to go for it-keep us posted
Old 04-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Lurker

thanks,will let everyone know how it goes
Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Lurker

Hey mentalstudman1,I was wondering,when you say you don't think the suspension will hold up,what suspension parts are you talking about? The kart has a full suspension setup on it now,should i go ahead and maybe get bigger shocks/springs and things like that?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

It's the whole design of the suspension,width & length of the kart/buggy, -Not intended for speed- you'd understand better if you tried to drive your buggy at 40+. The single A-arms don't allow for enough travel/geometry or a good turning radius at higher speeds, nor will it take the abuse for any length of time. The rear swing arm isn't anywhere near strong enough for the 600cc engines weight or additional torque- the rear of the frame for the swingarm pivots isn't strong enough as is for an additional load either. I believe you'd need to put some real fabrication time and skill into the EZ-Rider to make it safe/fun for a 600cc power plant, But that's my opinion. I understand the thinking involved when you have a ready made chassis that functions Okay with a 6.5 hp engine and your "need for speed"- bummer is that it just isn't as simple as most would lead you to believe- It's your kart and totally your time,money & safety at stake here- I'd love to see you successfully make this transplant work.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Lurker

Oh,ok,I see what your saying,Those are definetly things to take into consideration,& they're definetly things to think about,Thanks for the input,I guess it may be time to look into getting a smaller engine,lol
Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Lurker

I was thinking of useing these a-arms to replace the ones that are on there now,Do you think these would work for my kart? http://www.ebay.com/itm/160838188966...84.m1438.l2649
Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Lurker

I'm also looking at these shocks as replacements,they're kinda expensive,does anyone know of a better alternative? http://www.ebay.com/itm/170646232212...84.m1438.l2649
Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Can you post a pic of your kart/buggy for everyone to see what you're wanting to put these parts on?

That's cheap for a set of A-arms!!! IMO-the A-arms could work if you're willing to make or find spindles(that fit the ball joint shank) & hubs that fit the spindles, also have to fabricate carrier brackets for them.The ball joints don't appear to be replaceable or serviceable. You'll need pivot bushings too. (they're kinda of short in my opinion).
The price seems good for that type of shock. Those shocks only have a 2-1/2" stroke, doesn't seem like much travel for a 15-3/4" shock.
Hopefully the members trying that type of shock will provide some input.
"cheap shocks are usually what they are"- CHEAP!!!
Used ATV, sprint car & snowmobile shocks are what I'm using.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Lurker

I was only planning on useing the cart on dirt roads and trails,Not realy planning to rock climb or anything like that,So how much travel should i be looking for on a shock? Also as i'm not adept at welding and fabricating,What are the chances of me finding parts that will mostly just bolt in place of where the stock parts are at?And here's a pic of my kart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gokart1.jpg (20.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Lurker

Here's another pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yup.jpg (20.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thanx for the pic's
I'm not aware of any bolt on suspension parts for your kart/buggy(other than hydraulic shocks). I wasn't aware that you didn't weld-That's really a required skill to do even the smallest modification. To have double A-arms there will be welding!!! regardless of the arms you use. Just to add another type power plant(your original plan) there will be a good amount of welding needed.Does this change your game plan?
FYI- Shock travel is a preference on your part- just to have a fairly smooth/ good handling kart/buggy even on a basically smooth dirt road you need about 4" of suspension, unless you can take a beating!! Your kart/buggy was a much smoother riding one in comparison to other yard karts built at the time, but is still pretty rough with the stock shocks.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Lurker

I have a friend that's pretty proficient at welding,Going to talk to him and see if he can maybe give me a hand,I'm pretty sure this will get expensive if the work has to be taken to a pro.