BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Tecumesh kart ?'s

My brother-in-law bought a Murray go-kart with a tecumesh motor with a CVT type drive system. This thing was rigged up poorly and I am trying to get it up and running and everything hooked up like it should be. My questions are, I am unfamiliar with anything on this kart so here are some pics. It looks like my hammerhead cvt but way different. Anyone care to shed some light.

I think this is the variator but never seen springs used as weights.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Power User

Comet Torque-a-vator system.very common.
link to all the info you'll need, plus lots of threads on this forum

http://www.*****************/asymapp.htm
Old 10-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Lite Contributor

Cool, thanks x-bird. Now to get this rig running right! How do you like that bucket lid as a brake shoe retainer!!!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Power User

This brings back some memories ... LOL. ... that "lid"setup may be to keep the chain from rattling on the brake band or retainer. not a bad fix to quiet things down. Those outside band brakes usually have a U-shaped metal bracket going around the band at some point as a retainer, and as things get worn and loosen up, get to be a pain to deal with.

the tav is a good reliable system. need to keep an eye on the brass bushing on the driver and the plastic "blocks" and main spring in the driven. Get your pulley alignment spot on and don't forget it's an asymmetric belt. if you take the driven apart, make sure you have the spring end in the hole (3 holes, tension adjustment, #2 always seemed to be the preferred for most) and pre-load it in the correct direction.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Lite Contributor

I don't plan on taking this thing apart. Sounds like a PITA and I don't feel like doing it. The guy he bought it from broke the mounting system that holds the brake shoe on and the bucket lid is there to prevent it from falling off. The belt seems to be way too big because I can slip it on and off without removing the pulley's. Is that normal for this system? Another thing is I cannot keep this thing running unless the primer bulb is pushed in. Any suggestions to fix that issue?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Contributor

The pilot circuit in the carburetor is probably clogged. Most likely why it will only run while priming. Thorougly clean the carb, blowing compressed air through all passages.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Power User

also on the tec motors, the outer screw hole holding the air filter plate to the carb body is fully drilled through and into the idle circuit. if it's a little loose, or even not, it gives a little vacuum leak. apply a bit of liquid teflon to the screw.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Lite Contributor

Well I took the carb apart and cleaned it. Had it running and rode it for about an hour then turned it off and now it won't start again. Getting ready to scrap this thing.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 AM
Power User

The tec engines can be pretty finicky, especially if the throttle spring/linkage/governor setup has been messed with before. harbor freight clone motor is a good way to put an end to the frustration. It took me a lot of doing, but i finally got the 6.5 hp Tec that i have on my daughter's buggy dialed in where it starts easy, idles and runs/restarts without issue.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Lite Contributor

I'll tell my brother in law to just buy a new motor. He asked me if I wanted to buy this thing and after riding it, I enjoy my Hammerheads suspension over nothing.