BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 04-27-2016, 07:31 AM
Lite Contributor

Default 04 Dazon Single seater with 77 Yamaha DT400 Motor and Reverse

Hi everyone, I got an 04 Dazon Raider single seater from a friend a while ago with a blown up GY6 motor. It's been sitting in his yard for about 5 years and has been slightly canabilized. No master cylinder, no switches, 4 flats and a lot of dust and spider webs. Another friend gave me a 77 Yamaha DT400 that had also been sitting for 5 years collecting dust and spiders. What better way to start a project than with a couple free junkers, a yard full of parts and material and too much time on my hands. The only thing I don't have is money to spend on fancy parts and do-dads. So I took the motor out of the DT400 and disassembled it and found a burnt piston and siezed rings. With no money I thought I was done, then another friend took me to a guys house that has his own motorcycle junk yard at his house where I got a piston that's 3rd OS (motor was already 2nd OS) but no rings. I went ahead and got the buggy ready for the new motor. I wanted to keep the reverse so I got my imagination into high gear and the result is a Frankenbuggy from DEEP left field of HELL. Gotta get ready to go somewhere now but will post details and pix real soon. I think you all will love what I have created and thanks to some friends the only thing I had to spend any money on was a new set of rings at $28.00 shipped and had to borrow the money from my girlfriend.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Supporting Vendor

Good luck and make sure to post some pics and video of your project.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:15 AM
Lite Contributor

For some reason I can't upload pix in thread replies. I was able to upload some pix into an album. You will have to go see them there. There is also a description of mod's in my member introduction thread.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Lite Contributor

With the DT400 being an enduro motor it has pretty tall gears and 5th gear is major overdrive. Burnt the clutch out in a week. Put in new stock friction discs and steels but still wants to slip when I shift. Going to try heavier springs and cross my fingers. If that doesn't work I will try Kevlar friction discs but definately looking for bigger sprocket for the axle and maybe a smaller one for the motor. 5th gear is so tall I have been clocked at 90+ and wasn't even wound up. Also at those speeds aerodinamics (or the lack there of) wont allow it to go much faster if any. Plus it wieghs at least twice what the bike wieghed that the motor came out of. Will take some daytime pix to post soon.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Lite Contributor

Just put the heavier springs in and "voila" no more slipping clutch. It's all go and no slow. I may still go with a larger sprocket on the axle, we'll see. Pix to follow in the next day or two.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Lite Contributor

Sorry guys, haven't had a chance to take any pix yet. Been wrestling with two major issues with the buggy. The first issue is the front suspension, it SUCKS!!! I was wondering if anyone has tried fabbing a setup like on the rear of a monoshock dirtbike? They get long travel with a short shock and it's kind of cushy. Why can't that same design be used on the front of a buggy with a shock from like a mountain bike? My second issue is "VIBRATION", this DT400 motor has such intense vibration that I can rev it up in neutral and the springs on the rear shocks vibrate so hard that they actually collapse some and you can see the rear of the buggy drop about 2-3 inches. My idea is to use transmission mounts as motor mounts. I'm thinking Ford truck E4OD mount for the front and 4L60E 4-bolt mount for the rear. Has anyone tried this or am I going to be the first to attempt it? Need all the input I can get on these two issues. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:11 AM
Lite Contributor

Found the vibration problem. Would you believe loose head bolts were the cause of all that vibration? I couldn't believe it either. When I put this motor together I checked the head and cylinder bolts after the first five test drives and they were fine. After 2 weeks of driving every day the head bolts loosened up a bit causing the excessive vibration. Lesson learned, check head bolts more often. Now to focus on the front suspension.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:35 PM
Lite Contributor

Update: In the process of solving the problem of the head bolts loosening after 30-45 minutes of running time I found one head stud pulled the threads out so I pulled the cylinder to install a thread insert ( I don't and wont use helicoils) I found part of the piston skirt on the intake side missing and a wristpin reaining clip gone and a DEEP groove in the cylinder wall. It was running fine when I pulled it apart so i'm gonna install the thread insert and put it back together and run it 'til it says STOP. Hopefully that will be a LONG, LONG time.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Lite Contributor

Got it back together and she runs better and smoother than before. Damn i'm good.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:14 PM
Lite Contributor

I was finally able to upload some nerw pix into an album. Now if I can get them posted into this thread I would be tickled pink.

Last edited by BroncoDave; 05-18-2016 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 05-18-2016, 11:37 PM
Lite Contributor

My phone is the only way I have to upload the pix and it's stuck on the "Manage Attachments" page. I keep clicking the close window button and the link and it does nothing. Now what do I do?
Old 05-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Lite Contributor

Didn't like the looks of it with the rollbar so I removed it. Looks alot better I think. Will post pix later today. I also got a speedo app on my phone so I can find out how fast this beast really is.

Last edited by BroncoDave; 05-20-2016 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 05-20-2016, 07:45 PM
Lite Contributor

Uploaded new pix to my album. Only had a chance to do a short run with the speedo app and it did 50 mph in 3rd gear. When I get a chance to clock it in all 5 gears I will post the results. Can't wait to see just how fast this thing can really go.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:28 PM
Lite Contributor

Not sure if this is a brain "STORM" or a brain "FART" but has anyone tried fabin a front suspension like on the rear of a dirt bike to get more wheel travel with little shock travel? What do you guys think? Can it be done? Should it be done?
Old 05-26-2016, 11:22 PM
Supporting Vendor

Not my expertise.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Lite Contributor

I will start a new thread in "Other Tech Issues".
Old 06-04-2016, 01:31 AM
Lite Contributor

I uploaded pics of the jackshaft/reverse unit that I built out of a final drive section of a GY6 motor. They are in an album on my profile page.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:04 AM
Lite Contributor

Update: Did a little gearing change to slow it down a bit. It was 14t on the motor to a 13t on the jackshaft then a 16t on the jackshaft to a 35t on the axle. Now it's 14t - 16t - 16t - 35t and what a difference. Now when I get into 5th I can wind it all the way out without it bogging down and the clutch doesn't even try to slip. It tops out at 65mph and it gets to that so quick it's like being in a mini dragster. I don't take my hand off the shifter til I'm in 5th gear. Now that that is taken care of, I can work on the front suspension. I think I'm gonna stretch the front 10" and put the blaster a-arms and knuckles on it. I'll have to see if the Dazon hubs will fit on the blaster spindles so I can keep it hydraulic disc instead of the cable activated drums. I will also have to switch sides and flip the knuckles to make it front steer and relocate the rack and lengthen and relocate the steering column. I'll have to modify the knuckles to mount the calipers. I hope this goes smooth without a bunch of bracket and mounting point redoes. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.