BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 06-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Lurker

Default Handicapped/Hand Control Buggy?

Hey All,

I am a Newbie here, so please accept my apologies in advance if I don't know my way around yet...

I joined here in hopes of gaining from your experience and knowledge as I attempt to gain better access to areas I really can't get to in my wheelchair (the beach, park, down a dirt road...).

I have always been a car guy, and more importantly an off-road car/buggy guy (from the mid 70's-80's). I built a lot of stuff back in the day, and have given waaay too much thought to what I hope to find/create to gain more mobility independence. I have tried 4x4 wheelchairs (not my thing at all), and track vehicles aren't either. The mid 80's Honda Pilot(?) was a start, but I really prefer a side by side.

I hate to admit it, but I've been seeing a few Chinese manufactured rail frames that look quite interesting. I prefer to buy/build American, and perhaps one day I will be able to, but I can't even begin to fabricate a rail frame for what I can supposedly buy a completer running buggy for.

Specifically I am looking for what I believe is a Dongfang DF500GK-A? From what I can find, it looks like that model might be a couple of years old? The seating seems to be reclined back a bit more than most buggies/Karts? I don't know if they were ever imported into the US. If anyone knows of one I would like to learn more.

It further appears to me that a 500cc model seems to begin adult size, AND offer a rear split axle? Electric start, automatic and reverse are all a must. 2x4/4x4 switchable possibly? Certainly hand controls (though I think I will be fabricating those, at least initially).

I don't need speed or noise, just drive along the beach and through the sand.

Ultimately I would like to go to electric power to gain better acceptance=Access to beaches.

Something like this:
http://www.fourwheel-atv.com/photo/p...pare_parts.jpg

I'll leave it with y'all for now, and see what your thoughts are.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2017, 09:29 PM

Welcome to the sight.

I know it's not what you're looking for, but it might give you a thought to go in another direction?

There was a guy by the screen name of Rare Rat on another board I frequent. He basically took a Honda Odyssey (earlier version of the Pilot) and added a little tubing to the middle of the frame.

Thus making the single seater into a side by side.

Obviously there were a few more things that needed to be altered like the tie rods, but it might be another avenue for you to explore. Not necessarily creating your own frame, but just altering a proven one already.

Just a thought
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 06-04-2017, 07:34 AM
Heavy Contributor

What beaches were you wanting to gain access to? The reason I ask is because most all of the coast line, particularly along the eastern shore that are national park areas don't allow "open wheel" rail, buggy, quad type vehicles. Fishermen yes, but it's limited and seasonal. It's the old problem of a few irresponsible spoiling the privilege for the rest, tearing up the beaches and dunes. We used to ride the north Carolina outer banks years ago but are now denied a permit.