BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 02-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Power User

Default Welding gloves

Figured this would be as good a place as any since more fab goes on in here. )))
I'm always cooking/shrinking the left index finger on my Tillman Mig-rated gloves to the point i can't really use them anymore even though the rest of the glove is in decent shape. (they become grinding/hack work gloves then) On my last trip to my supplier, they had Revco BSX gloves, a little thicker than the Tillmans, but not as thick and they have better feel than the full bare rawhide types. They also have a pinkie finger drag patch. Price was actually lower and after today's session, they're definitely not as susceptible to the heat. I give them a .
Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Contributor

good to new ill look them up !
Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Power User

They make a variety of the BSX line, these are the ones i picked up. Got hot enough tonight to heat up my knuckle pretty good, glove didn't shrink, char or show any signs of damage. pretty impressed, would've killed my other ones.

http://www.revcoindustries.com/catal...roducts_id=833
Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Contributor

I like the thin tig welding gloves with them you can even put on small screws.i weld with tig so I need to be able to feel and twist the wire.But you will get the hot finger if you dont watch it!

FABRICATION ITS HARDER THAN YOU THINK
Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Power User

I like the thin ones too, the tillson's Migs are very close to the Tigs in terms of feel--but i kill them too fast. The ones i linked are a little bulkier, but better than the pure rawhide outers.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Contributor

How are you burning the glove?

Then all your problems look like nails.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyonsperf View Post
How are you burning the glove?
I'm curious about that too!!! I use THIN pig skin ranchers gloves just to keep from getting the spark rash/sunburn.I occasionally get a hot finger when holding something really small when tacking it. Now when I'm arc welding heavy stuff I use heavier gloves as it really heats up the metal but that's pretty rare.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Power User

A couple little things combined with the bad habit of a self-taught welder. My miller 130 still has its original 10A gun and liner. the slip-on nozzle is loose (It's actually the plastic part of the gun that it slides onto that's worn down--nozzle is only a couple years old). Over the years my 2-handed gun hold has turned into not only being to steady the gun, but to keep the nozzle on. otherwise my stick-out gets way off as does the gas flow = porosity and heavy spatter. I'll be welding and all of the sudden it goes to crap on clean metal with correct gun angle and gas flow. Sure enough, the nozzle is 1/2 or more off.

I just went in the garage to actually look at what I do because i've never really thought about it. Just one of those things that has slowly crept in and gotten worse if you want to call it that.
I've got the angle of the gun neck in my left palm and my left index finger curled around the underside of the nozzle to keep it in place. (like holding the front stock piece on a rifle) My fingertip ends up about 1/2 to an inch from the arc/weld and with the thin gloves, a few bead runs and it's cooking. When i do any heavy stuff, i'll wear the heavy gloves and still have to fling the left one off my hand because of the heat transfer. The glove finger shrinks and curls down so tight my finger can't fit in the last 1/2 inch or so of the glove and it gets aggravating because it starts falling off my hand. At that point they become grinding or tree cutting gloves until i wear too many holes in them.

BTW, they're Tillman 1350s, found one of my old ones that the brand name hadn't worn off of. Pair in the pic has about 2 10-pound spools of wire weld time on them--6 months maybe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glove.jpg (93.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 02-28-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks for the tip on the gloves, I'm going to try a pair.