BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default A little help here? Welcomes to LEDBAR!

I'm doing some thinking ahead on this "first glimps" project. I'm starting to plan for the electrics. Wiring will be the next big step after I finish the rear swing arm and suspinsion. so I'm starting to collect the stuff I need and get a schematic worked out.
A big welcome and thanks to LEDBAR lighting for coming on board! They have the exact unit I have been searching for. That double row spot/flood combo is the ticket!
Which brings me to a Problem... I got to figure in some sort of voltage regulator thingy in order to keep the lights burning constant. As the stock set up is wired now voltage supply for the light circut varies with rpms. Lights dim as rpms decreases and vise-versa.
I remember reading somewhere, at some time or maybe I was dreaming about a thread explaining the "How To" but it escapes me.
Anyone got the know how, a schematic and/or componet list to do this??? Any insight would be helpful.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 AM

What motor are you using on your buggy?

The GY6 can be upgraded with the 11 pole stator, flywheel, and rectifier. That is supposed to supply a steady stream of current and not have the dimming issues you describe.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
What motor are you using on your buggy?

The GY6 can be upgraded with the 11 pole stator, flywheel, and rectifier. That is supposed to supply a steady stream of current and not have the dimming issues you describe.
that's right! I may have to go that route. It's a gy6. I honestly didn't consider that option because I have always steered away from the higer pole stators. I've felt they have a tendancy to rob horsepower or that's what Ive told myself to belive. My logic tells me the more power required, the more HP used/needed to generate it. How much, if any ? I got no friggen idea! If somebody could possibly shoot down my notion it would solve the problem. Have you tried the conversion?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Supporting Vendor

Your correct in your assumption. The larger the stator the more HP robbed. What is the watt rating on the lights and what amp draw do they have. Depending on the watts and draw most people I know run them right off the battery since they draw so little. The battery when charged will supply a constant voltage reguardless of what engine rpm is. The older buggies ran their lights right off the stator in which the engine had to be running for them to work, as wired the current will fluctuate with rpm. Later models were wired off the battery but were limited to 35 watts total so as not to overwork the stator with charging the puny battery. The nice thing about led's is that they are bright but pull little to run. You will probably still want to run a relay but pulling the power off the battery.