BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > ATV Dirt Bike and UTV Forums > ATV and Dirt Bike Forum

ATV and Dirt Bike Forum Forum for All ATV’s and Dirt Bikes

Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Lurker

Default help a newb out

Hey all. Let me start by saying that Im a total newb when it comes to motorcycles. I am very interested and have always wanted one but never had the chance until now.
Today I bought a 70's honda mt250 for $75 thats less than put together, because it seemed like a great deal and something with potential. Id love to be able to get it running again. But I need some help. The guy I bought it from bought it from a guy who took some things apart to paint it and never got it totally back together. Apparently it ran at that point and there wasnt any problems necessarily.
I have a pretty good understanding of the basics of how an engine, carb, etc work. I have a fair amount experience with 4-stroke engine repair. 2 strokes are a different story. some of my questions may sound stupid, but like I said any help you could give to this newb would be greatly appreciated

My first question is about the neccesary electrical setup. I just want to get it run at this point. I really dont understand the coil, cdi, etc...I guess I know what they do, but not how they work together. If someone could give me some basics about how to hook things up that would be greatly appreciated.

My second question is about the carb. I get the basics of carbs but i have some questions about this one. Heres a picture for reference:

Why are there 3 fuel line inputs? The one to the right of the idle adjustment is the main fuel intake right? but what are the other 2 for? fuel reserve? Im not sure how that setup works...

The next thing may sound stupid but bear with me. Why are there two spark plugs?

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/93168194.jpg/][IMG]

Last edited by wearetwomariners; 10-14-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:22 AM
Heavy Contributor

I'm not familar with that particular motor so I'm not much help with the electrics.
but that carb... looking at your posted pic. to the right of Idle adjustment is the intake from tank, to the left is a vent to atmosphere. on the bottom is a float bowl drain valve
Old 10-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Lurker

Thanks for your reply ckau. That makes sense. so I can just add a shutoff valve to that drain for the float bowl right?

Sorry my other picture didnt load right. here it is:

Are these both spark plugs? Does the front one just look different because theres an end missing or something?
Thanks
Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Lurker

I realize that that picture was misleading as regards my question. Heres a better one:

In this one you can see that the ends of the plug are different. Thats what I was asking about...
Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Contributor

Welcome 2mariners, when I started working on my GY6 I had no clue what I was doing, and found it was a lot of help to read the manuals front to back. What the parts were, what the specs were, etc. I just googled honda MT250 and found this link http://www.honda-elsinore.com/ and if you look at the top there is a link to manuals. Found yours, it even has "principals of operation", good write up.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearetwomariners View Post
Are these both spark plugs? Does the front one just look different because theres an end missing or something?
Thanks
Oh wow! I haven't seen one of those heads in a very, very very long time.
That second spark plug hole is actually where a compression release would go. Somebody removed the release and threaded a spark plug in.The compression release was a one way valve that thread into that hole and controlled by a cable running to a thumb lever on the handle bars.
Back in the day, a release was needed to help kick over some of the higher compression motors and also used to aid in braking. sort of like a Jake brake in semi's.
In the early 70's the Bultaco 360 ruled the short flat track scene.
The hot tip was to have the head machined with the second plug hole for a compression release. This helped the bikes slow down enough at the end of the straights in order to get into the turns
Old 10-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Lurker

ahh...that makes sense. Thanks. So to get it to a running stage a should be able to just leave that in. I just wont have the compression release. Thanks.
And thank you satoys! I looked around for a manual but could only find ones that I would have to buy. Which I was kind of planning on doing if I had to, cause it would be helpful. But its great to get a free one! thanks guys. This should really help me get started.

So I didnt mention this before but the reason I got this bike was for an engine for a buggy/go kart project i've been working on. I was just looking for a two stroke off a bike like this but this guy sold me the whole bike so now Im torn as to whether to keep it a bike or not...haha. Anyways Ill have to upload some pictures of the kart project to the buggy section of the forum. Some threads there really helped me with some of the modifications ive been making.

Thanks again for your input
Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 AM

Well do u have a lead on another engine? if so keep the bike those old elsinors are a hoot!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Lurker

I dont have any other leads yet. I will probably do some more looking thought because it would be cool to keep. Thanks for your help guys. Ill post anymore questions if I have them. I havent had like any time to work on it since I posted. I have a two week old baby girl so that keeps me pretty busy thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 09:08 AM

Default Yup

I can relate1 I have just one monster of my own n its a girl. Even thought she is almost 17 I drop everything as soon as I hear the magic word "DaaaaD"! lol