BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Lurker

Default Well I guess I'll start here...

I recently "inherited" a rolling, American Sportworks 150cc Helix Fox Chassis. No engine, no transmission, no brakes. What I DO have is a Honda 6.5hp ~212CC engine, ( I will probably get a kit to beef it up). Just lookin for info on where to start, honestly it will probably end up being a Frankenbuggy just based on what I have to add to it to get it running.

So I guess my first question is, the drive sprocket is on the passenger side of the buggy, the engine I have, is horizontal shaft, but is driven facing the driver side.

Is it possible to flip the rear and run a direct drive from engine to axle?

-Tom
Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 PM

Default Just a fab away

I dont see why not, should just have to do a little fabbing for engine mounting, sprocket alignment, gas cable, and maybe 1 or 2 other things, but most anything is possible, when you're talking "frankenbuggy"
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM

Welcome to the site.

Might I suggest sourcing a GY6 150cc engine? It will have the engine and trans all in one.

If you were to mount an engine with direct drive to the axle, you're going to have a ton of problems. First one being the second the engine is started, the buggy will begin to move. You need some sort of centrifugal clutch between the engine and axle.

Another problem would be gearing. That's where the Constant Variable Transmission (CVT for short) comes in great. It gives low end TQ, and varies automatically to gear up for higher speed.

You can use that engine you have, but will need something like the Comet CVT to make it work.

On my nephew's kart, they use a jackshaft to get the drive chain where it needs to be.

Long story short, look for the GY6 engine as I suggested before. MUCH easier.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:18 AM
Lurker

The direct direct drive would be clutched, I just thought I'd make it simple, I'm lookin at all these wires and wondering where the heck they all go, not that I have ever backed down from a challenge, BUT, looks like there is supposed to be a battery and that is missing too. Ill have to get some pics on here so you guys can see what I am working with... it is just a rolling chassis... thank you guys for the replies,

One of the things I figured I'd do is beef up the engine too it looks like there are a few "kits" to do just that. Any suggestions? of course looking to get the most bang for my buck.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Power User

As far as wiring goes, about the same as a motorcylce. the 150s use a cdi ignition, so at the engine end of the harness you should have a plug for that, wires for the starter relay, starter, a voltage regulator/rectifier, ignition coil, FEV "auto-choke" on the carb, stator output/lighting, ground, and battery.

BTW, welcome aboard.

As far as replacement engines go, since you don't have one at all, strongly consider buying a pre-machined case and big block kit. if you start "stock" you're limited in terms of displacement increases by the case's jug bore size. then you hit the need to have it machined to increase the displacement to the larger sizes. You have the advantage of being able to build a really sweet, bolt-in, upgraded 150 from the get go instead of playing "i wish I had!" and "now i have to buy .."
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM

If you have a honda 6.5, it should be a GX200 model, unless its a clone, either way it's not a terrible way to go since you can push 20+ hp with the right parts and not mess with the bore at all. I also considered doing this with my spiderbox, but they are right, unless you want a single speed lug machine, you would need a TAV add on, or a 2 speed cent. clutch jackshaft for more speed and gearing options, but the cost of that alone would far exceed picking up a used 150-250cc scooter engine and essentially having a bolt in power plant with the option to build it up further.

Then again, if you are feeling crazy, you can look for a quad or dirtbike engine and throw on there, but that takes a great deal of time and fabrication, x-bird and I both will tell you that.

For anyone wondering about the 2 speed jackshaft, I will find the link for anyone interested. It was popular on some older mini bikes.