BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 03-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Contributor

Default Ever think of building a "tracked" vehicle...

go kart sized? Not as fast as most, if not all 150's. But a real attention getter. A full blown, ground up sorta project....

I'm building one now, for my dad, gonna be pwerred by a warmed over GY6150, then gonna do a follow up build for myself with a "greyhound 13hp" HF engine.

I have no affiation with this guy, but the video is sorta cool, and the plans are first rate as is....but being the ole tinkerer I am, there will be many a variance from the plans.....LOL

Anyway, here's the video. I can do a build thread if y'all want, jus lemme know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPHT9wm5cI

Sure could use a reverser gearbox, for a GY6, if anyone wants to sell one.....
Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Lite Contributor

Very cool i would love to see the build that will be one fun little machine.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Wow! that is pretty neat! Seems to me it may get expensive.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:57 AM
Contributor

The budget is 1500.00, but sinse I already have the GY6 on hand, as a "take-off" from a previous scooter build, and a 13HP HF can be had for as litttle as 239.00, we'll post a value of 240.00 on the engine. I also "up-graded" Drive and jack shafts to 1" from 3/4", and all plastic/plastic bushing wheels, to steel wheeels w/ball bearings.

Going to the local steeel dist this week, buy a sheet of 3/16" (5'x10') cold rolled, and give them a cut list. Gonna come home with a stack of gussets, and 2, formed base pans. I'll have saved about 20-30 hours of welding and alignment hassles, and the steel plate vs tubing cost...? I'll post it up later this week.

As a "catch-up," I used his begging method, and left the tractor trailer tire shop with 2 side wall damaged, matching tires, for free! Next day, cut out the tracks,,,

Picked up the FREE tires yesterday. Waled in with a pick of the little rig, and immediately brought a smile to the owner's face. Told him I'd like to sneak out with some tires from his "discard" pile. He said no problem, no need to sneak either. There's the pile, HELP YOURSELF! just bring it by and show him the finished rig, when done. Damn, that was easy...till I started hunting through tires, which he had stored in nice neat upright rows, and which I left in the same order I found them in.... minus a matching pair of GoodYear 11R24.5's. Thoroughly worn out, must've moved and inspected over 200 tires, but I got a set.....I still need another set though....dammit. No matter HIS has begun, his, is the focus.

One on the truck...

One on the cart, headed for the track fab shop....

Drilling pilot hole for the saw, and cutting away...

Voila, one track done, one to go...

Old 03-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Contributor

Dad's designed and built reiprocating saw is getting a work-out too....man, it looks crude, but it cuts truer than all get out!

Parts keep rolling in...

Even Dad's reverse gear box...

I'm gonna be at a slight handi cap though.... he's using the GY with variable tranny, and now reverse. I'm gonna use the HF 13HP engine, like in the video, so I'll fab up a hi/lo gear box, with reverse from scratch. Dad's is the toy, mine will work for it's keep, pushing a home made 50" bush hawg, and pulling a root rake, to build an off-road mini-buggy course on the back 2 acres.....

Got some work to get done...back in a week or so with updates.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Lurker

Super old thred I know but what ever happened to this project? I saw his plans but to rich for my blood right now to have them just sit around.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Lite Contributor

kliff, this looks way cool... please share more
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Contributor

kliff looks like a bunch of fun!Guy almost does a front end rollover though so be safe.High center of gravity and short tracks,but I'd like drive it around-on level ground though .
mancoman
Old 10-29-2013, 01:23 AM
Lurker

Thinking about building one of these. Did this one get finished? Would like to see more on it.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Lite Contributor

kliff hasnt been on in over a year

Last Activity: 07-13-2012 06:06 AM

not sure what happened to him....
Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Contributor

Default fun stuff

Check this one out:
http://kustomsbykent.com/snow-dozer/