BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 05-27-2015, 08:58 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Hello and need opinions on an Carter 2936-SPX

Hi to all...I could use your help. A buddy of mine has a Carter 2936-SPX for sale. It starts right up, has a lot of rubber on original tires, and seems to have been gently used. Asking price is $400. I did some research and know that the company is gone so I'm assuming parts are gonna be a challenge. Still thinking it would be a good starter buggy for my sons. Abby experiences with this buggy and/or opinions would be appreciated!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:58 AM

welcome I have never had a carter, but I hear on here they are pretty good buggies. If its in decent shape, that ain't a bad price. I have a cart for sale on here listed under buggies for sale. you might hear from someone who has had exp with these type on here though. zman007007

Last edited by zman007007; 05-28-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Supporting Vendor

Carter was a well built buggy. The early 2004 to early2007 most parts interchanged with other top brand buggies. Most early buggies were made in the same factory as Hammerhead. Sometime in 2007 Carter started using different sources for their parts making the Carter unique to other buggies. In the later years for instance they contracted with SYM of Taiwan for their engines. There are very few if ant parts for the SYM engine that interchange with the more common GY6 engines used in other top brand buggies. This is where the problem arises. Carter burned down and was a total loss so no parts survived. It was declared to be arson and appears to still be under investigation. Since many components were made specifically for Carter what little parts out there have since dried up. So many parts are just not available and since they were made specifically for Carter there lies the problem. The $400.00 is a good price if the buggy runs well but when it breaks down the problems start. If you are proficient with mechanics and fabricating it is an excellent price if in good condition, but when it breaks it could be down for some time until parts are found or parts modified to work.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman007007 View Post
welcome I have never had a carter, but I hear on here they are pretty good buggies. If its in decent shape, that ain't a bad price. I have a cart for sale on here listed under buggies for sale. you might hear from someone who has had exp with these type on here though. zman007007
Thanks for your thoughts on this. Almost everyone says they have a good rep. Good luck sellin yours!
Old 05-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Carter was a well built buggy. The early 2004 to early2007 most parts interchanged with other top brand buggies. Most early buggies were made in the same factory as Hammerhead. Sometime in 2007 Carter started using different sources for their parts making the Carter unique to other buggies. In the later years for instance they contracted with SYM of Taiwan for their engines. There are very few if ant parts for the SYM engine that interchange with the more common GY6 engines used in other top brand buggies. This is where the problem arises. Carter burned down and was a total loss so no parts survived. It was declared to be arson and appears to still be under investigation. Since many components were made specifically for Carter what little parts out there have since dried up. So many parts are just not available and since they were made specifically for Carter there lies the problem. The $400.00 is a good price if the buggy runs well but when it breaks down the problems start. If you are proficient with mechanics and fabricating it is an excellent price if in good condition, but when it breaks it could be down for some time until parts are found or parts modified to work.
Hey SYCARMS, this was super helpful as I was interested in the company as well. As far as I can tell, its a 2002. Would that make it easier to find parts since it was built before they did the outsourcing? Does that make the Tecumseh a GY6 engine? Is Hammerhead another manufacturer? I'm pretty good with a wrench and know some people that could help me keep it runnin. Thanks again...your post is super helpful.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Supporting Vendor

No your engine is an industrial( mower engine), with plenty of parts for that engine and very likely to find most parts for the kart. The GY6 engine was used by Carter starting in late 2004. The GY6 Karts generally are larger with suspension, rack & pinion steering, disc brakes and lights. You have one of the traditional as called yard or fun karts. The $400.00 he is asking is a fair price if it needs no work at all. It is a 2002 and sold for between $600 and $800. I would still try to get it for less. Definitely make sure you drive it first then from there you can access what you want to pay for it.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:00 AM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
No your engine is an industrial( mower engine), with plenty of parts for that engine and very likely to find most parts for the kart. The GY6 engine was used by Carter starting in late 2004. The GY6 Karts generally are larger with suspension, rack & pinion steering, disc brakes and lights. You have one of the traditional as called yard or fun karts. The $400.00 he is asking is a fair price if it needs no work at all. It is a 2002 and sold for between $600 and $800. I would still try to get it for less. Definitely make sure you drive it first then from there you can access what you want to pay for it.
Again, that's really helpful information and thinking. Any info on the clutch/transfer case on that model? I.thought I read somewhere that manufacturer folded as well? Regardless, I told the guy today I'd do the $400 if it was a turn key buggy. Waiting to hear back. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Lite Contributor

Update: don't know what this means but I've read that it's a*TAV20 setup. They were made by Comet.*
Old 05-29-2015, 01:14 PM

comet is still in business as far as I know
Old 05-30-2015, 05:14 PM

I believe the tav 20 is the model #
Old 05-31-2015, 08:51 AM
Supporting Vendor

Comet did go out of business but have since come back.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:47 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks fellas. That's good news. Well let you know if the deal goes through.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Lite Contributor

Default got it!!!

It took awhile but I finally got the cart. Super pleased with it, although I/we already bent a spindle due to aggressive driving. Nothing a pry bar couldn't fix.

Hit a pothole and some spring linkage between the throttle and the governor popped off. Found some useful advice/pics online and got it back on but the paper clip style linkage keeps popping off. Any advice/pics of this set up would be appreciated. Its got a 6 hp tecumseh.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Power User

that tec spring linkage is the biggest hassle known to man!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
that tec spring linkage is the biggest hassle known to man!
Yep. Doesn't seem too reliable. I wonder if someone hasn't found a work around/improvement for it?
Old 08-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Supporting Vendor

If the spring keeps popping off it could be due to a stretched spring.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
If the spring keeps popping off it could be due to a stretched spring.
Somethings not right but it works. Its not the spring linkage, it's the one with the paperclip connector that goes from the spring to the tang. Not sure what it's propose is...
Old 08-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Power User

I was looking around for a pic in my threads, i pretty much dumped that whole setup on my tec. Put a throttle return spring on the throttle plate hooked to the end of the muffler, kept the small c- shaped connector between the governer arm and throttle plate, a single spring from the governor arm to the cable throttle mechanism and the one vertical spring on the cable throttle mech. i'll try and take a pic later.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
I was looking around for a pic in my threads, i pretty much dumped that whole setup on my tec. Put a throttle return spring on the throttle plate hooked to the end of the muffler, kept the small c- shaped connector between the governer arm and throttle plate, a single spring from the governor arm to the cable throttle mechanism and the one vertical spring on the cable throttle mech. i'll try and take a pic later.
I'd appreciate it. In the meantime, the kids took the cart out and came back and the paper clip linkage is gone. Onlyone spring/linkage now, from the throttle to the gov and somehow it's working fine. Knock on wood...
Old 08-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Power User

This is how i set my 6.5 tec up. I've done some mods to it exhaust and intake wise, and also ignore the zip tie hanging there. engine is in my daughter's buggy and is presently awaiting a new fuel petcock. The original spring/linkage system I'm pretty sure is designed to stabilize the throttle inputs and prevent rpm surging at WOT like you sometimes hear with older generators etc. as well as work with the governor to prevent overrevving.

You're most likely very close to this setup right now, if there isn't a throttle return spring on the throttle plate itself, put one on it. Mine is a pretty light, long one, shown in the last picture and just hooks into the end of the muffler.

I can adjust max throttle opening by bending the tang that the spring in the first pic is hooked to, by moving it to a different hole on the governor arm (this also affects throttle rate of opening), by adjusting the governor arm with the lock bolt on the governor shaft and by tweaking the governor arm end with the little clip connection to the throttle plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0159.jpg (80.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0160.jpg (82.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0161.jpg (83.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 08-07-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
This is how i set my 6.5 tec up. I've done some mods to it exhaust and intake wise, and also ignore the zip tie hanging there. engine is in my daughter's buggy and is presently awaiting a new fuel petcock. The original spring/linkage system I'm pretty sure is designed to stabilize the throttle inputs and prevent rpm surging at WOT like you sometimes hear with older generators etc. as well as work with the governor to prevent overrevving.

You're most likely very close to this setup right now, if there isn't a throttle return spring on the throttle plate itself, put one on it. Mine is a pretty light, long one, shown in the last picture and just hooks into the end of the muffler.

I can adjust max throttle opening by bending the tang that the spring in the first pic is hooked to, by moving it to a different hole on the governor arm (this also affects throttle rate of opening), by adjusting the governor arm with the lock bolt on the governor shaft and by tweaking the governor arm end with the little clip connection to the throttle plate.
Thanks very much for going to the trouble of Taking the pics. Those and your write up are very helpful. I'm going in vacation for a week and will try your setup when I get back. Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:23 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Tec linkage setup

Just got back from vacation. Here's a picture of my setup. It's missing the spring with the paper clip end but it continues to run fine. Lemme know if you/anyone has any concerns!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-08-17 19.06.44.jpg (94.9 KB, 8 views)