BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Lurker

Default Carter SPX

Does anyone else own the Carter SPX go kart?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gokarts.jpg (10.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Lurker

I pulled my karts out today to check them out. The batteries and fuel were removed from the Carter karts for the Winter. I inspected all of them, so I know what they'll need this Spring/ Summer. Most will need new clutch/ belt assemblies. My most recent purchase (the one without padding) was previously owned by a person with a welder, and not much knowledge of mechanical engineering. The wiring was all incorrect. I think I can fix that, as long as the charging system isn't damaged. The bolts were removed from the roll cage, and replaced with welding. I'll have to think about that. I noticed the chain was very loose. I loosened the adjusting nuts to pull the assembly back and tighten the chain. It wouldn't budge. I pulled the skid plate, only to discover a previous owner welded the bolts in place, making it impossible to adjust anything without grinding off the welds and replacing the bolts. That will be fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140322_180941.jpg (100.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140322_180151.jpg (100.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140322_180227.jpg (101.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140322_180119.jpg (99.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-22-2014, 09:24 PM
Lurker

The kids always wanted the red SPX go kart. It was always noticeably faster than the others. They all appeared identical, so I could not figure out why one was noticeably faster than the others. I adjusted the carburetors, linkages, pedals, governors, chains, springs, etc. I couldn't figure it out. I figured maybe it was gearing. Today, when I was inspecting my fourth SPX, I started to correct the wiring. I went to the other karts to compare the connections. That's when I noticed the difference. It was so obvious, I don't know why I didn't see it before. All the engines are yellow, Tecumseh Power Sport, electric start engines. They're all 6.0 hp....... except for the red kart; It's a 6.5 hp. Go figure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tecums10.jpg (68.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:59 AM

Default 1 for 2!

Well that would explain that! As for repairs, I think we would all be stunned if we bought a kart that didn't need some sort of work done to it! I figure for ever weekend day I spend riding, I'm gonna spend 2 days after work doing service work on it! just the nature of the "beasts"!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Lurker

Default Spx

I now have five Carter SPX karts and my GTO go kart. Three of the SPX karts are drivers thanks to parts from the other two SPX karts, and a stock of parts I removed from a couple similar Carter karts, before getting rid of them. Carter is out of business as far as I know, so parts are hard to come by. I purchased these Carter SPX karts, when I could find them cheap, and had the spare cash, which isn't often.

My kids are rough with these karts to say the least. The carnage started with small dents here and there from running into things, like the pool deck, and a fence. Then my boy took the front wheel off, spindle and all, after hitting a tree while paying attention to his sister on her kart, and not the tree in front of him. Then, of course there's the damage from my daughter driving through two picnic tables and the pond. Thank God I replaced the missing roll cage before this happened, and insist on seat belts and helmets. Her brother, not to be outdone, screwed up his whole front end alignment. You see, his kart stopped moving. A governor spring broke. I tried to do a field fix by stretching the spring, but this just caused the engine to race too much. I told him not to drive it, as the brakes would not hold with the engine running like that. Later, I found his kart with front end damage, and severe alignment issues. It was next to a dismantled seesaw that had a steel pipe base. He had no idea how the kart go there, why it was damaged, or why the seesaw had been disassembled. Hmmm. I waited a while to fix it. It took a hydraulic tool to straiten the front end, most of the day, and several parts from the parts kart to realize the bracket that held the front spindle was slightly bent.

So I have two Carter SPX karts for parts, but now I'm tempted to get one back to rider condition by combining the two parts karts.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:44 AM

instead of selling parts you may need to be looking for some more. LOL
Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman007007 View Post
instead of selling parts you may need to be looking for some more. LOL
?? I'm not selling any parts. I did get rid of a couple similar Carter karts, but only after I removed all the SPX compatible parts.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:33 PM

oh ok
my bad LOL
Old 11-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Lurker

Default general info

I'm just posting some Carter SPX info I found on the web before the original web sites delete them.

2002spx2936.jpg

Let your adventure begin in a Carter Off-Road Machine. As the oldest and leading manufacturer of Go-Karts and Off-Road Machines, Carter is the defining name in the industry. For more than 30 years, innovative ideas have produced a full line of Off-Road Machines for the beginner, intermediate, and adult riders.
Slide Adjustable Double Seat
Body contouring seat
Suspended headrest
Full suspension with adjustable hydraulic shocks
6 HP Tecumseh Electric Start OHV Engine
Remote Choke
Caster camber steering
All-Time Safety Lights
Dual 3-Point Seat Belt
Rear mud guards
16" Rear Tires
15" Front Tires
Enclosed Live Axle
Torque Converter Drive
Front brush guard

MANUFACTURER Carter Brothers
MODEL YEAR 2002
MODEL 2936 SPX
M.S.R.P. $1999.00
MEASUREMENTS
LENGTH 76.5 in.
HEIGHT 62 in.
WIDTH 46 in.
ENGINE
ENGINE 6hp Tecumseh Electric start, OHV
DRIVETRAIN
FINAL DRIVE Torque Converter
OPERATIONAL
SUSPENSION Full w/adjustable hydraulic shocks
BRAKES Steel brake rods
TIRES Front: 15"
Rear: 16"
OTHER
ADDITIONAL FEATURES Average speed: 24 mph
Target Age: 12+
Old 11-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Lurker

Absolutely Revolutionary!

That's the Carter model 2936 ! In our opinion there is nothing else in it's class, certainly nothing half as well optioned or built for the money. This is without doubt the most impressive machine we have seen in years. Below are just SOME of it's revolutionary features:

2936-SPX

6 HP OHV Tecumseh Powersports engine
Comet Torque Converter System
FULL SUSPENSION FRONT AND REAR
ADJUSTABLE, HYDRAULIC ATV SHOCKS (Not mere springs competitors pass off as "suspension")
The entire transmission and brake assembly is enclosed in a unique STEEL BOX that doubles as a bash-plate. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to damage this system. Even the sprocket is protected!
New, large roll cage allows plenty of room for even the tallest adult drivers.
FULL SIZE UNIT, plenty of room for adults. Not just another go-kart with big tires!
Unique GOVERNOR SYSTEM allows you to adjust both the speed and acceleration in seconds.
#40 Motorcycle/ATV drive chain.
Chain can be easily adjusted in seconds with special chain adjusters.
Fat, thick, oversize framework/bumper assembly PROVIDES SUPERIOR PROTECTION.
All Carter trail karts have the pedals BEHIND THE MAIN FRAME. Your feet are not out in front of the unit, exposed like many competitors.
Live axle (both rear wheels drive, no traction problem)
16x6.50-8" Dirt Digger tires rear, 145-70-6" Dirt Digger tires front. (Tires just the right size for performance with FULL STEERING AUTHORITY) Competitors many times put huge, macho-looking rear tires on their machines to make them look aggressive. Only problem is, most have no steering authority at all, and the machines have no power, as their engines can not possibly rotate such huge tires with any authority. While a true ATV, the Carter 2936 still handles more like a go-kart, an IMPORTANT SAFETY CONSIDERATION.
ELECTRIC START! Standard!
Remote choke. Standard! (All starting duties can be performed while sitting in the unit.)
12 volt driving lights standard.
Take a good look at the frame. We are unaware of any competitor that has such an incredible, heavy-duty framework.
Slide Adjustable Double Seat

Body contouring seat

Suspended headrest

Caster camber steering

All-Time Safety Lights

Dual 3-Point Seat Belt

Rear mud guards

Front brush guard

AMERICAN MADE