BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 01-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Lurker

Default New and Father-Son project

New member, first Father and Son build.
I took the opportunity to start this built when my boy asked for a gokart as a birthday gift.

I paid $200 for a non working complete helix 150cc. Frame work does need a lot TLC. I could of paid less but was too excited when I saw my boys face when he saw the helix.

Build Goals are nothing fancy and pretty simple. Total $600 budget (Including price paid for the helix)

Restore frame ... (Weld were needed and paint with POR15)
GY6 rebuilt.
Polish heads
ported intake
muffler
air intake/ram air setup
Add Tach and RPM gage.
Tune the carb with an a/f gage
Bucket seats

I need to figure out how to control the max speed. My boy is only 7 so I don't need him going highway speeds on the yard.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg g4 with helix.JPG (89.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-30-2017, 02:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

I have asked the same thing. With cvt train, really not a good way. That I heard of. Can always fab up a nut and bolt behind the gas petal, so can be adjusted how far petal goes down. But since cvt, could affect the performance. Or may not help much, if long striaght away. Or gear it low as possible, light wieght rollers. Change out final gears, and sprocket on the chain.
I don't know if there is an adjustable cdi, that will do what you need.
This is what I did for my 10 year old. Got a trail tech. Which has tack speed odometer. Heat gage,.
And records info for each run. If you reset it.
You can set warning lights on it, so when hits certain temp or rpm range, will flash. Told my son, if yellow light goes off, then better slow down. And not to go over 25 mph. If he did, then he grounded from it.
The normal trail, or path we take, wide open, most time can't get over 26. Down hill. Straight away not long enough for 10g rollers, to get into highest gear. But sounds like he is hauling butt. But really not, being so low geared.
He 12 now, so I just let him after it. Got a good 5 point harvest for both sides, for both kids. I just make sure they strapped in good and tight before each run.
Only thing is now, if red light flashes, engine getting warm, so time to shut it down for a while.
Trail tech is pretty cool for the price.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:51 PM
Heavy Contributor

Oh ya. Warning. Being young kids, sometimes they tend to watch the speed, rather then where they going. So they need to be educated how to use it correctly.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Power User

i'd save money on the por-15 and spray it with rustoleum. used plenty of por in my time, know the product very very well and it's more difficult to use on clean metal than on rusty stuff.

grab some used 4 or 5 points off of e-bay, plenty of high quality sfi-spec race sets out there that are out of certification and more than adequate for buggy use--more often than not, far better and safer than some of the new harness sets being sold.

ditto on the trail tech and adjustable go-pedal stop-bolt behind the go pedal. long bolt, some nuts and a bracket --- quick n easy to adjust depending on who's foot is planted on it.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:59 PM

for $200 not bad at all, ur son will love the buggy.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

If still available there is a kids CDI for the buggy, DC volt of coarse. You can contact me if interested 662-301-1563.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Heavy Contributor

Running a shorter or longer CVT drive belt than stock will limit top speed by preventing full use of the pulley face.

Last edited by GX150; 02-04-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:12 AM
Lurker

Thank you for all the feedback. Well noted. Here are some small update.

I should have some pics soon. We took off the gy6 and so far looks good so not sure why it wasn't running. I didn't see any out of roundness. I still have my machinist tools (mitutoyo calipers, i.d mics, etc.)

Here some measurements,

Block Sleeves I.d: 57.4 mm
Block Sleeves O.d: 62 mm
Case opening: 6.2.8 mm
Intake Valve: 27.8 mm
Exhaust Valve: 22.8 mm

Cam, heads, block all seem good. The muffler is badly rusted and I did notice the piston had slight discoloration on the skirt. Middle ring seem stuck and the top and bottom rings moved freely.

I probably just order a ring, carb and gasket kit.

Next is open up and have a look at the CVT. I like the ram air system it has so I want to try and modify the box. Modifying the stock bracket to add some Summit seats shouldn't be hard. Modifying the gas/brake pedals so my son can reach probably be harder.