BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 02-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Picked up a buggy - need some help

Hi all,

So I picked up a 2014 Kandi 150GKA-2 buggy the other day. Guy said the belt broke and he parked it six months ago and realized he is not going to mess with it. Here it is (came with seats - pulled them to clean them):

Still wondering why he cut the exhaust off to remove the belt cover to check out the belt?!? At least it was a clean cut so I can weld it back together....

So I brought it home and pulled the carb and took it apart and used the ultrasonic cleaner with Simple green. Cleaned up nice. Put it back on, charged up the battery, emptied and cleaned the gas tank, new fuel filter. Of course the key did not work so I cranked it by jumping the solenoid. (wiring needs more work than I originally thought). Cranks but will not fire. Checked that I had spark at the plug (held near frame). So I pulled out my compression tester - uh oh - topping out at 30ish. Hmmmm......thought I was doing something wrong so I went to my Baja Dune 150 and got 125psi there. (I did not hold the throttle open on either buggy when doing it - something I learned today googling). Ok.....
Drained the oil and did not see any metal pieces (whew!). Checked the valves and the intake(top) would not let any gauge through it. Adjusted both to .004. Still nothing - cranks but does not fire at all.
Now this has a ton more wiring than my old dune - turn signals, horn, high/low beam, obnoxious beeping with hazards on (sheesh!).
It also appears that it has (had) the brake pedal switch - but the wires were cut so I twisted the ends together.
So aside from low compression (unless I am doing something totally wrong) what else could it be?
The guy said it was running fine, his daughter made a turn in the field and the tire lifted a few inches off the ground and then it just stopped. That is when he discovered the broken belt. I realize he could be feeding me a line, but I have since contacted him if anything else happened and he has appeared to be fully honest and asked for me to keep him up to date on what I find out .
If it is just low compression and I need a new piston/head, I am ok with that as a new kit seems reasonable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01303YJKU...I3V6Q82H7WLAP2

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by jpcjguy; 02-22-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:28 PM
Power User

recheck valves and timing position then recheck compression. go thru wiring harness from a to z, open it up and trace it all thru. all that fails then think about what you need to buy.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:16 PM
Lite Contributor

So I retested compression - jumped to 92 psi. Obviously I did something wrong before. Not great but should at least start. Definitely getting spark. Now I question getting fuel. I double checked the jets again - all look good. I think the main jet had a 103 stamped on it.
Going to check vacuum lines.....
Old 02-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Lite Contributor

Ok. Vacuum lines look good. charged up the battery and cranked it again for a 5-6 count and compression got to 120! Fuel related? going to take the carb off my Dune 150 and mount it up - I know that works - and go from there. Ok, it's almost 1AM, going to bed and trying the carb tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:47 PM
Lite Contributor

Oh - here is a picture of the cut exhaust - really buddy?!?!?

Last edited by jpcjguy; 02-22-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:47 AM
Power User

might be bad diaphragm in the carb. good luck with the swap, better to go thru it the way you are than throw $s at unknowns
Old 02-22-2017, 07:00 AM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
might be bad diaphragm in the carb. good luck with the swap, better to go thru it the way you are than throw $s at unknowns
Thanks. that is what I am thinking - something small....
Old 02-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Power User

where are you located--just out of curiosity? Also, what's pipe diameter on that muffler, i have a very similar one to it if you need it.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Lite Contributor

I am in Richmond, VA. Measuring the tube that is still mounted on the engine it appears to be 26mm diameter.

Here are other pics:

Not sure what that thing on the exhaust is and the hose goes to a plastics thing that was full of dirt.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Power User

welcome to the age of smog devices on small engines ... looks like an egr tied to a charcoal evap canister. i would cut that thing out and run straight pipe.
will check what i have for you and take a pic, came off an older sunl 150
Old 02-23-2017, 06:02 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks. EGR - makes sense. This is a 2014 and probably subject to everything
Old 02-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Lite Contributor

Swapped carbs and it ran. Not great but it ran. Grrr. Took the carb apart again and everything looks clean - head scratcher.....
So I figure I will just order one.
This looks reasonable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
Old 02-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Lurker

Isn't 92lbs compression kind of low. That would cause poor running. Maybe check again wide open throttle and a good charge on battery. Maybe there is a ring stuck from sitting. Was it inside or outside?
Old 02-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Lite Contributor

Tried one last thing. swapped the electric choke over from the Dune. worked! glad I did not order a carb yet!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:13 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
Isn't 92lbs compression kind of low. That would cause poor running. Maybe check again wide open throttle and a good charge on battery. Maybe there is a ring stuck from sitting. Was it inside or outside?
It was sitting outside. I did charge up the battery and got a 120 reading next go around. Looks like I am basically in business. time to break it completely down and start paint.