BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Lurker

Exclamation 6.5hp motor help

Ok. I had a new 6.5 techumsa motor, it ran great. I pulled out the governor gear. I reinstalled the side cover and put a new spring on the carb. that's it. Now it will not start like it did before. I have to pull the air filter and stick a screwdriver in the butterfly to get it to run? It seems to be puffing gas vapor out into the air filter. When I pull the screwdriver out it dies. Any ideas?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Contributor

Turn the idle screw in some.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Contributor

You may have used too heavy of a return spring.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Administrator

What happens if you start it with someone sitting in it holding the throttle open till it fires off?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Lurker

Yes it starts right up if i hold the throttle open.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Lurker

Ok,
I dropped the carb bowl to see if there was anything in there that might be keeping the gas from flowing during idle and now when i push the prime bulb (red rubber button) It does not squirt gas into the carb any more.

Now the only way I can get it to start is by squirting starting fluid into the carb and puting a wire in the carb to open the butterfly. this keeps the engine running at full throttle. I move the butterfly with the wire to lessen the rpms, but when I remove it it dies. All of this while all carb linkage and springs are disconnected.

Help.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

I never had a good running Tecumseh's with the primer bulb type carb. You really need to find another carb with the manual choke lever.Thery're getting hard to find but well worth the money.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Lurker

Default Tecumseh govenor

Tecumseh govenors do many things. They obviously control top end engine rpm, but they do two other things.
1. They actually hold the throttle plate almost full open when you start up the engine to allow it to start, and then drops engine speed down to idle immediately as soon as it starts.

2. Their spring setting also overides the idle stop screw somewhat.

Understanding that, to start yours without the govener attached, you'll need to have someone step on throttle and let it go as soon as it starts to copy what the govenor does. Someone else already mentioned that. Make sure no one is standing in front of cart if they don't let off throttle quick enough. You'll also need to set the idle stop screw so it is now the real stop (higher) as govenor was likely pulling it up beyond screw stop setting. (The govenor spring and not the idle set screw was likely previously controlling your idle speed)

I'm telling you this just to let you know why you are having the problems you are having. I realize it is not much help to you for really good solution. I'd suggest put the govenor back. I'm not a Tecumseh fan, so personally would not trust it to not blow up all stock with just the govenor removed. Hopefully someone else has a better workaround for you.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Lurker

Any chance you removed the air filter assembly to work on the carb and are trying to run or prime it with the air filter assy missing? Some Tecumseh primer carbs use one of the screws that hold the air filter assy to seal off a passage in the primer circuit. Will not prime without those screws in the carb.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Lurker

yea, as jump already said, they do hold the throttle a bit for starting, if i hold mine at the idle screw, it wont start.... thats because it kind of over rides the idle screw with the pull

i could imagine it would be very hard to reproduce this, and it could destroy ur engine

what i did to increase my speed was tighten the spring connecting the throttle to the govener arm

-Speedometer
Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Lurker

Default Next Step

Thanks for the info. IF I had known this before I removed the govenor I would have not messed with it.

I bought a carb with a manual choke and I can get the motor to start.

Here are my new problems:

1. the motor runs well with the wheels off the ground (no load), but it drips gas out of the carb into the air filter box (only when running). If I hold my hand close to the air inlet it gets misted with a fine spray of gas? It will not run if I put on the Air filter. It will not run if I even put on the air box cover (no air filter). As soon as I get anything close to the air inlet it dies.

2. When I ride the cart (no air box or air filter), it takes off really slow. like I am starting a motorcycle in 3rd gear. Once it gets up to speed it goes like a bat out of hell. The cart used to spin the wheels as soon as you gave it gas (very torky) now it has good high speed but no low speed power. and it continuse to drop gas out of the air inlet.

Any info would help.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Lurker

Default Next step?

Is it a new or used carb you put on it? Sounds like it may be a bad carb. Is gas leaking out if you just leave it sitting overnight not running or only when running? If always, float needle is sticking in carb. Otherwise it might be a bad or missing o-ring on the main jet as a possible guess. Just curious - where are you located? Not likely, but if close by I could look around garage. I think I have a 6.5 Tec. You cannot have it for keeps, but you could try the carb to see if yours is bad.

Couple other thoughts - If no one here knows you might check out this forum. One of their moderators worked with Tecumseh for years and is a real expert on those engines

http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/

(hope giving you a link is not a forum rules violation - if it is - sorry)

Lastly if too expensive or time consuming to fix, a Honda clone 6.5 is pretty cheap and depending on clearances on your cart, should be a mostly drop in replacement. You would need a longer Tav bolt to bolt it to the engine if you have a torque converter and a bicycle brake cable and a little hardware to juryrig a new throttle set up.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Lurker

It is a brand new carb, The old carb did the same thing with the gas dripping.

It is like the motor is starving for air (even with the air filter and cover off).

and when it is running it spits out a light spray of gas out the carb air inlet.

Non of this was happening before I removed the govoner gear.

Any small engine guys have this problem.

I want to be hero dad not zero dad.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Lurker

Don't go ripping engine apart based on this; I'm just throwing it out as food for thought for someone that knows Tecumseh's. I've had Briggs and car engines apart, but never a Powersport. Not likely a carb problem if it spits on 2 different ones. Almost sounds like valve timing may have an issue and it's pushing air into carb. When you removed govenor did you have to move or remove cam? Is it possible it's back in off a tooth? Again not recommending you rip it apart again based on my limited knowlwdge. Just a thought so someone else can chime in.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Lurker

Exclamation Power sports

These engines are a pain in the ass...........check ur carb gaskets, the float may need to be adjusted...or u may have a bad oring in the bowl