BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Lurker

Default not enough power

I have 6 hp techumseh.not enough power to pull hills.Would it help if I took gov out?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:49 PM

I would say yes it would help but it would shorten the life of your engine because it is designed to ony turn a set amount of rpm"s and last. it might scream, but its possible it would blow before you get to the top of the hill. who knows? probably better off changing your gearing ie. sprockets.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Heavy Contributor

The governor is set up to run it to the rpm range that it produces the most power. After reaching 4500 or so it quickly stop making power although it may rev higher. You could do it and maybe hit the hill at a higher speed but it will lose it just as quick. May be all you need but it will reduce the life of your engine. Changing gearing is the better option if you must climb hills but you will lose top speed. You could always go for a larger engine too.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:26 PM

With a Tecumseh engine, I wouldn't pull the governer. Too many stories on another forum about the tec's grenading after 5k RPM. Gearing is probly the cheapest way to go, but like stated bfore, you will lose some top end. Bigger engine is also possible, but you have to weigh out what will and will not fit the new power plant( TAV, Clutch, mounting plate, cables, etc...). Does this engine have a clutch, or TAV installed? If clutch only, might consider a comet 30 series, the tecumseh engines are still sought after for their reliability, so helping it out might be a good option.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 10-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Lurker

I have Subaru engines 169cc (6.5 ). Could I get some direction on How to furfure on how to adjust the gearing ratio with the sprockets.