BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Lite Contributor

Default hammerhead swap

If i was to swap my cfmoto 250 out my hammerhead for a honda foreman 500 engine what all components would i need besides a carb and the electric shifter for the engine to run.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Isn't the foreman shaft drive? That is going to be the biggest hurdle to overcome. If you have a source for an ATV diff and axles, then you are a step or two closer, but then space becomes an issue. Most of the buggies I have seen with shaft drive quad engines either set the engine in the passenger side of the main tub, or turn the engine sideways and have a special sprocket hub machined to go on the output.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 02-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Lite Contributor

Its like all my friends have 420 ranchers and 500 foremans and im gone have a small 250 ..do you think the 250 can be modified to have more hp
Old 02-03-2014, 09:19 PM

Yes it can. Keep in mind, you will not be able to keep up with big cc quads wide open, but your advantage is stability in the trails and tight sections, which translate into speed. If you want to keep up with your buddies wide open, then a bigger cc buggy(joyner,BMS) might be better suited, or buy a quad.

Engine swaps are very in depth, and require lots of fabrication, especially if you decide to use a shaft drive quad engine. A good option would be a raptor, 400ex, LTZ400/450 or similar sport quad. All of those should get you up to speed(pun intended) and might show up those ranchers and foremans.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 02-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Lite Contributor

ok thanks a lot.. you are very helpful, you have mostly helped me on most of the threads I have posted on here thanks alot
Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Supporting Vendor

your best bet w/ a foreman rancher swap is if.you have the whole quad. If done right the front cv's and arms could be the rear of the buggy. A lot of Honda drive shafts are spliced the same so I'm sure you could Lego a driveline together.

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX