BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Off Topic and Other Forums > ATV, Dirt bike and UTV Reviews

ATV, Dirt bike and UTV Reviews Reviews for various ATV's, Dirt bikes and UTV's.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default BuggyMasters Review: 2008 Yamaha Rhino 700

My first review in this section I will dedicate to one of my all time favorite machines. Our 2008 Rhino is a beast of a machine. In all honesty, there isn't much negative to say about this other than the cost. We have experience with a few Side by Sides and of the three that we have knowledge about (Rhino 700, Arctic Cat Prowler 650, Polaris Ranger 800 XP) we'd still pick this one. Even compared to the mighty Polaris RZR, we'd still pick this. This isn't necessarily a biased opinion. It is a matter of pros and cons, which all of these have.

For example, the RZR is definately faster, definately handles better, and even has nicer seats. However it is physically a smaller machine and has no real bed in the back to speak of.

The Polaris Ranger XP does in fact have a bed in the back, is a physically larger machine, and is faster than the Rhino. The deciding factor on it was the seating ergonomics. It has a bench seat in the front which will comfortably fit three people. BUT...it is still like driving a golf cart. My friend has a Ranger. He does as much utility as sport riding. I do mostly sport and comfort in driving position trumped the power. For our type of riding, we aren't going balls out. Just need to make sure we have plenty of power, which the Rhino has.

The aftermarket is abundant for these as well....if you got the dime. Typical to every hot item on the market, you gotta pay to play. We were fortunate enough to have found ours still like new, never hit dirt with all of the cool things on it that we wanted other than the windshield which we added after we bought it. (P.S. A windshield will be a necessity for any Side by Side in my opinion so plan on getting one).

Power wise, the Rhino's 700cc FI engine delivers the goods under every circumstance we have placed it in. It has a governed top speed of 41 mph which has been fine for us up to date. If you want to go faster, there is an aftermarket CDI box that will take off the governor.

The machine is very comfortable to drive. We have the base suspension and are quite content with that. The limited edition models will have better suspension that consists of piggy back style shocks. Even they maintain there vaule sell typically used for about $500 per set of four.

Drivetrain is CVT based automatic with 2x4, 4x4, High, Low, and differential locker for tru all wheel drive.

Instrument cluster is a digital unit with speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge etc.

One thing that should be noted in Rhino land is that 2008 was a cutover year. Prior models were of the carbureted 660cc engine. But not only do you get the 700 FI engine, but Yamaha also beefed up all of the driveline components. So bigger axles, hubs etc. After I learned this, nothing prior to 2008 would do. We absolutely love this machine.

Pros: Comfortable, awesome looking, powerful, goes anywhere it can fit and then some.

Cons: It will nearly eliminate your desire for a conventional four wheeler because you will have the ultimate four wheeler. You are not going to fit this in the back of your truck, gotta have a trailer. Also, this thing is EXPEN$IVE. This is the closest any machine has come to getting a perfect 10 from me. If it was more affordable, it would have got it.

BuggyMasters Rating: 9 out of 10