BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Lite Contributor

Default rear axle for 3206

have the new front end with even a-arms 3rd gen spindles now the front end is wider than the rear. where can i get wider rear axle it looks like i need about 3in on each side ?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Power User

I wouldn't worry about keeping it equal width. A wider front end will help with cornering by reducing understeer. If you make the rear wider, it will make the front tires have to work "harder" in the corner.

This is because the rear tires are locked together and want to drive the kart straight forward. If these had an open or limited slip differential, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. the wider the rear is with a locked/straight axle, the more it wants to "push".

If you're concerned about roll over stability, then you can add spacers at the hub. However, this also has the drawback of putting more stress on the axle.

Rather than worry about width at the moment, i'd look at ckau's method of adding extra bearing hangars to help support the rear axle and prevent it from bending.

Also consider beefing up the rear swingarm top-tube where the chain tensioner/engine mount is located. These have a bad habit of bending, and it's not only the yerfs. The baja reaction I got for my wife is beginning to bend down at the center. very similar design to the yerf, exact same issue.