BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 06-03-2020, 09:12 AM
Lurker

Default Targa 200 engine upgrade

Hello all,

I am going to add a predator 420 to my sons Targa 200. What gear box do you recommend for this? This will be my first attempt at a project like this so all info and advice is welcome. Thanks you and glad to be a member of the group.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome,
Is there a reason you don't replace the engine with another GY6 type engine? The 420cc is only supposed to be run @ about 3600rpm, That's not a lot of wheel speed- it makes lots of torque. The only gear box I know of that is "affordable" is:

https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/...kaAtBEEALw_wcB
It says it's not been rated for larger than 6.5hp- I'm guessing no-one has reported back to the manufacturer about using it with larger engines. It's for the TAV2 30series CVT system.You'll need some type of CVT sytem to get power to the axle and have some type of speed.

IMO- I would try to find a CN250 or similar to swap out if you're looking for more power.
Keep us up to date on the swap out so others wanting to do a similar modification will have some feed back about the performance and all that's involved.
Not having your buggy -I can see lot's of fabricating with this swap (the 420cc), engine mount,axle mod's for the TAV2 system to match the sprocket location (if it's adjustable), different sprocket and space for everything to fit in the original swing arm, then the space for the reverse box,wiring, ect.....
If I knew that much fab. work was needed I'd be putting an ATV engine in it!!!But that's just me.