BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Lurker

Default Carter Talon GY6 Fuel Lines

I have discovered some missing pieces in my fuel system on my kart sitting the drivers seat, one of which is the filter but im not sure how to piece this together from the fuel valve coming from the gas tank, i know one is for vacuum and the other for fuel.

can anyone post a picture of how it should be hooked up so i can get mine put back together?

I will post some pictures of mine and what is hooked up to it so far in the morning when i have some light
Old 04-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Lurker

Ok i know that the piece im holding in the second picture is the fuel filter, right now there is a hose running from bottom outlet of the petcock to the fuel inlet on the carb. There is nothing attached to the upper outlet of the petcock except for that small piece of cut hose hanging there in the first picture. Then there is a line running from the vacuum line to the intake manifold with a T connector in between which i would imagine runs to the fuel valve petcock.

My question is are these lines mixed up or correct coming off of the pet cock, when i pull the hose of the bottom outlet fuel starts to come out but it runs straight to carb with no filter, is possible the person who had this before just bypassed the fuel filter and ran it straight to the carb?

and to fix the vacuum lines would all i have to do is run a a hose from the T shaped piece to the upper outlet on the petcock?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Lurker

Upper outlet on petcock is for the fuel line. Bottom is for vacuum. If you have fuel coming out of the bottom of the petcock then it needs to be replaced.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Lurker

Ok thank you well in that case I need to pick up or order a new one
Old 04-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

You could do yourself a favor and just pick up a brass fitting- you don't need that type of petcock, put an inline on/off valve before the fuel filter and maintenance will be straight forward when seeing if you have fuel or not.The carb vacuum line would then just connect to the intake (no need for the tee)
Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Lurker

Yea that seems a lot simpler in the long run if ever trying to diagnose a fuel issue again.

Now not trying to sound like a noon her but.... I understand what you mean by putting a brass fitting and on/off valve before the filter. But what would the actual brass fitting piece I need be called (is it has a specific name that is) so that I don't go into the local hardware store and make an ass out of myself.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Lurker

There are two downsides to replacing the petcock with an on/off valve you should be aware of. These may not be a big issue but just something to know.

1. The petcock itself has a filter on it inside that helps keep your fuel delivery clean. There is usually an extra in-line filter like you posted above so removing the petcock is not a big deal as long as you have the in-line filter.
2. The second issue is more for safely during a crash or rollover. The petcock works off engine vacuum so when your engine stops so does your fuel flow. If you replace it with an on/off value the fuel may continue to flow during a crash.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Lurker

Yea I purchased a new inline filter today so I got that covered as for the safety reasons I can see what your saying. But I don't see myself rolling it anytime soon (of course that's what everyone says)
Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

IMO-I disagree with the idea there's a notable safety issue with a "brass barbed fitting" vs. a vacuum petcock-Had mine on it's side several times (not the top) and never had an issue.
Kingunis- Take the petcock with you so you/them can match the threads and barbed hose size(usually 1/4" hose), it's your preference whether it's straight or 90 degree oulet. Using clear tubing for the fuel line is another plus.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Lurker

Yea thats what I'm gonna do tomorrow. I replaced all the tubing today with clear tubing that is 1/8 ID and 1/4 OD. It fits perfect on everything. It was a little hard to get it around the fuel filter but I managed it.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Lurker

so i got everything installed and still no luck with starting the kart, it seems as if the carb is not sucking any of the gas in.

The gas flows from the tank down the line but doesn't seem like its going into the carb it just fills the line up and that's it. I just took off the carb to check and opened the fuel bowl to find that is it bone dry. Any thought or suggestions?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Neele jet must be stuck/gummed up- remove the float and clear/clean- verify that the little pin in the needle jet operates ,the rubber tip doesn't have a wear ring. If possible blow compressed air through all openings to verify they're clear.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Lurker

I cleaned out the Needle jet and spent some time on the pilot jet since that one was really gummed up and had no flow. I cleaned the carb then put some has in bowl of it to prime and filled the line but still no luck when trying to start. I decided to check for spark since I realized i hadn't done that yet and discovered that was nothing coming from the ignition coil it seems. So I will have to order a new one of those. I also have a feeling the autochoke might be bad which if it is I might just order a whole new carb since I doubt the cost is very far from each other and from what I've seen a new carb comes with a new auto choke
Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Lurker

ok so update got the stuff i ordered (electric choke, ignition wire, vacuum operated fuel petcock) i installed everything and put some fuel in the line going to the carb but still no luck, doesn't really sound any different when trying to start it then it did before, i also put some fuel in the bowl of the carb after i cleaned it out.

Heres a picture of everything all set up let me know if anything looks out of place that i might need to fix or something

one thing im wondering might be wrong is the fuel inlet port going into the carb i tried to blow in it and what not but i cant push air through there it seems like not sure if it should be like that or if that might be gummed up also. Here's a video of it trying to start so you can hear for yourself

http://s1166.photobucket.com/albums/...t=fd870d42.mp4

Any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Did you check for spark again?The fuel inlet port on the carb should be very easy for fuel/air to pass thru.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Lurker

no i didn't, what would be the best way to check for spark (chance is i might not have done it right the first time)

Also i cant blow any air through that port no matter how hard i try so that might be a problem guess ill have to take it off and try to clean it out
Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

To check for spark- remove plug, put the boot back on and lay the spark plug against the engine (not holding it with your hands!!) crank the engine over and watch for spark (dim the lights if you need to) Dark blue=awesome, light blue=good, yellow=weak, whitish/blue/yellow=weak
The inlet port for the carb is a "huge" port leading to the needle jet/float. Remove the needle jet and float and run a wire/compressed air thru it. (You won't be able to see light when looking thru it), the main jet and the slow idle jets need light to be viewed thru them when clean- also clean/clear the small holes on the main jets sides (emulsion tube) where the slides metering rod moves up and down it.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Lurker

I just took the carb apart to clean the needle jet and float. Is the needle jet supposed to sit in its slot while the float moves or should it move out of the slot a little when the float is lifted up
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

The needle jet hangs on the float(very small wire clip)-as the float moves down the needle jet moves up to let fuel in the bowl- the little spring loaded pin in the end of the valve applies pressure to the rubber tip to seal against the seat to stop the fuel flow when the float it at it's highest point.

Last edited by metalstudman1; 04-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Lurker

Well it seems mine is missing the little wire clip holding the needle jet to the float. Is there any way to rig up something or bypass this or does this mean ill have to order a new carb
Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

That "little" clip is on most carbs- I'd find a local motorcycle shop, see if the have an old carb laying around that you can rob the clip from. It doesn't have to be your model carb., you just need to pull the bowl off to get it. If you just ordered a needle jet it usually comes with the clip too.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Lurker

I'll see if I can pick one off a no good go kart carb at my job later if the clip is universal. Is the jet also basically universal ?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

The clips are basically universal where as the needle jets will have slight variations in width,length,ect..
You have go karts at your job?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Lurker

Yea lol. I just started working at palm beach international raceway(formerly known as moroso) yesterday on the go kart track
Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Cool job!!!! are those engines lawnmower/industrial style?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Lurker

Yea it's pretty fun so far. I believe so the basic karts are pull start style. But the higher end karts used for league racing and stuff have engines specifically designed for those karts with push start
Old 04-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Lurker

Is there a site someone can point me to that I could buy this little clip for the float valve. I can't seems to find any. And my job does not use these types of clips on there karts
Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Heavy Contributor

It will be probably easier to simply order a new carb off ebay. they can be had for $30. They come complete ready to bolt on. all you do is switch out your old main and pilot jet into the new carb
Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Lurker

Yea that's what I found the easiest and cheapest way so far. I was just wondering if there was a easier cheaper way maybe. What's the size of the stock carb for these things so I know for reference