BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Sand Viper 250 Anoying Vibrating noise

Hey Guys,

This is me just nit picking a little bit, but my SV 250 has the most annoying vibration noise ever. Coming from behind the seats in the engince area somewhere. I looked all over the thing, tighting her, strapping down there... no luck.
Noise comes in slightly over idle and droppes away under anytype of load. Dosen't matter what gear it's in. As far as I know everything back there is stock. Starting to wonder if it might be in the cvt. Yesterday noticed a slight whine while driving. Can't say if it's always been there or not. I putt around with my 2 year old for the most part so I haven't really been paying attention to the sound (other then the aformentioned vibrating noise).
I know this isn't much to go on, but anyone had this issue or have any ideas?

In other news, the 3000lbs winch I got from Harbor Freight is AWSOME! ( Did i say I putt around with my kid all the time?) Ok, sometimes I hit the trails here in Eastern Ohio. With the winch and the Mudlites it's a beast.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:14 AM
Lurker

i have a sand viper 1000cc 2 seater much diffret but check the heat shield on the muffler it might be that mine had it makeing the same noise couldent find it checked everything . took off the shield and it went away
Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 AM
Contributor

They all have that annoying noise and alot of it comes from the plastic fan shroud and my suspicion is some of it is engine/mount related. once me and my 3 buddies removed all that stuff and put in the polaris the vibration is gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeulR4W1_PU
Old 08-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Lite Contributor

So, I took the fan shroud off,...still making annoying noise AHHHHHHHHH!
As it turns out, the muffler was making 90 percent of that noise. The Joyner 250 has a really nice muffler,...with really bad decorative bands at each end. They don't make smooth contact all the way arround so at the perfect harmonic ( between 2000 and 5000 rpm) they rattle like all get out. I took the muffler off the buggy and brought it to my bench for a little tweeking. Useless bands gone, = annoying rattle gone.... for the most part There is still something rattling and I'm looking at that heat shield next.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Contributor

yeah I forgot about that as well also the baffle will break at the welds eventually and make more annoying noise as well. I replaced ours with Big Gun mufflers.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Lite Contributor

I was toying with the idea of just gutting the muffler and putting the tips back on. Do you think that would effect the tune or make it crazy loud?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Contributor

probably a bit of both.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Supporting Vendor

It would make it crazy loud and you would not have the needed back pressure. Would be like running strait pipes.You will be best with a performance muffler and might have to rejet.
TOM
Old 11-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Lurker

hello i have a 2005 sandviper 250cc with a fmf muffler thats way too loud for the family would like to go back to a stock muffler for the 250cc any one want to trade straight across for mufflers? just repacked this FMF to see if it would be a little quieter , no luck. sounds real nice just puttin but too loud when you are running the trails . thanks for any replys
Old 11-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Power User

I have a stock muffler from a hammerhead 250. stainless steel bolt-together body. internally it hasn't been changed, however the flex pipe input on it has been cut off and a piece of solid tube put on in its place. I also redid the hardware that holds it together as that broke as is a common problem. I'll put up some pics and dimensions in a separate thread (I'll call it 250 muffler) and would be interested in a trade.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Lurker

i am new on this site cant find your pics