BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 01-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

Default Small electrical problem

First I was running a 6 coil stator, I thought my stator was not puting out enough power for lighting and I had an 8 coil stator/flywheel combo from a spare engine. I switched them out and now when I unplug the plug from the regulator/rectifier my lights turn off completely, when it is plugged in the lights start off very dim (35w lights) then when I rev up the engine they get very bright. When I had the 6 coil stator on it the lights would not go out they would actually get brighter when unplugging the regulator.

What do you all think the problem may be? The regulator/rectifier is also new.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

What type motor are we talking about?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Heavy Contributor

oh, sorry, it is a gy6 150, the one on my spiderbox.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

The lights running dim till throttle up is normal- at least in all 5 of our's
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Heavy Contributor

before I started messing with it, the lights would be brighter during idle then they are now. This was with the 6 coil stator, the regulator was broken and i didn't know it.

My brother bought a spiderbox and his lights (stock) were much brighter than mine, so I started doing research and found out that my regulator was not charging my battery when revved it would not go over 13v it would not go up in voltage at all. The lights would not get any brighter either.

My friend who had bought my crossfire 150 was having the same bad lighting problem as me and he got a new regulator/rectifier and his problems were solved. (before he put it on his I tested it out on mine and all was good!)
so I bought one and I said to my self, well, I have this 8 coil stator also so I might as well swap that out too and I'll get even more power for lighting! well I get more power but only if I'm riding over half throttle.

I was doing some night riding and going down a hill and my lights get so dim that I can't see anything 1 feet in front of me.
another thing is I have an LED break light installed which doesn't use much power at all and it does not come on until I rev the buggy up either. I have my front lights on a switch so if I turn them off all power should go to the break light, but I get nothing.

I just can't figure out why it would do this, the buggy runs and Idles great, only thing I have not checked is the voltage coming directly from the stator while the buggy is running.
unplugged from the regulator I should be getting some power to the lighting system because there is a wire going directly to the red bundle of wires strait from the stator

I'm stumped, I might just have to put the 6 coil stator back in.

Last edited by T3beatz; 01-25-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Your story about the lights going dim going down a hill is exactly why I wire all my lights straight to the battery with it's own fuse & switch- Maybe all of ours had weak stators or regulators as they were all used. When you wire them to the battery you can run higher watt lamps too- if they're too high it would eventually run the battery down, but we run more in the daylight so we never had an issue. Sorry if I wasn't any help!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Heavy Contributor

no problem, thanks. yeah, I've been thinking about running lines to the battery but just like you said I'm afraid of draining the battery.

I'll trubleshoot my problem a little more, then if I can't find the solution I'll put it back the way it was before switching to the 8 coil and see if that helps.

I'll post my findings when I've figured it out.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Power User

i've noticed that several of the ads for 8 pole stators also recommend a particular flywheel for them. maybe a mismatch between the magnet strength in the flywheel and the new stator?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Heavy Contributor

well, I took the flywheel and the 8 pole stator off the same engine and stuck it on the one that's in my buggy. everything fit just fine, and I counted the flywheel magnets and there was 8.

It's just weird that power only kicks in at a certain RPM, seems like 1500 or so when the clutch engages and the buggy starts to creep.