BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Lurker

Default Paint my kart now,Or wait til the engine is in?

I've just about collected all the parts for my kart,But i still have a couple of things still left to get,Just waiting on having the money to get them In the meantime,I was wanting to re-paint my kart,Because I'm dieing to do something to it instead of just having it sit,but Don't want to scratch it up doing the engine install.What do you guys think?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Power User

strip it and prep it. get your parts, mock it up for fit of everything, add fastener tabs/brackets as needed, test run it then tear it down, paint it and then reassemble.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Lurker

that's a good idea,didn't think of that,thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Power User

the strip n prep is good busy work while waiting on parts n things ... however, a full strip vs a scuff sanding is a lot of work.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Lite Contributor

always wait on the engine till everthing else is done because if you mess-up on something else on it you can go back and fix it with worrying about the engine.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Supporting Vendor

Check in your area for powdercoating. I priced it for my Joyner. Bring it stripped down and it gets blasted to bare metal then powercoated fo about $200.00. The powder coat will hold up and last over the paint. A quality paint with acessories will cost much more not to mention the work involved in prepping.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Lurker

Thanks guys,There's actually a company here that powdercoated the swingarm on my motorcycle & it came out realy good,hmmm,that sounds like a good idea too
Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Power User

powdercoating is definitely one of the most cost effective and durable coatings for tube chassis. I figured out the amount of rattle can i would need to do mine and it was well over $100 for primer and paint. Rather than pC though, i picked up rustoleum by the quart along with mineral spirits to thin it with and am going to break out my old guns and blast it. total paint cost was about $50 or so.