BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Lurker

Default Should my Driven pully clutch move?

My 13 year old son purchased a used mini buggy with his own money and after about a month of use, it stopped moving. It is a Intruder II 2011cc Suburu engine and it has a torque converter. I can not afford to hire someone to fix it, so I have been trouble shooting it. I first purchased a new belt, that wasn't the problem, the old one was a little worn but not that bad. I then noticed that the driver clutch moves when I give it gas, but the driven does not. I removed and cleanned the driver, after watching a you tube video on maitainance. I have yet to buy graphite for lube, so I have not put that back together yet. However I did clean it with a wire brush, it really wasn't too bad. My concern is that the driven clutch does NOT move when you give it gas. Should it? Or does it move from the belt caused by the driver clutch when it moves? Does a torque Converter have both driver and driven clutches move when you give it gas? Is that why it does not go forward when you give it gas? I am a female, I guess I should note that, just in case I am asking a stupid question that everyone should know. Please let me know. Thanks
Old 08-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Lurker

I should note that it is a Comet 30 series DRIVEN 3/4" BORE 6" ASYMMETRIC that I am concerned about not moving when I give it gas. It does move freely when I remove belt and turn by hand. The Driver moved, with and without the belt when I give it gas. Again, I need to reassemble the driver after I get graphite lube. Hopefully that will do the fix. BTW, the engine starts right up and stays idling fine. It revs up when I give it gas.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Power User

There are no stupid questions when you're new to something ...As the engine's rpm increase, yes the driven should begin to move. make sure the belt is installed with the arrows on it pointing to the engine. Read down this page, has a full explanation of how the driver and driven work together along with maintenance information ...

http://www.*****************/asymapp.htm
Old 08-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome- where are you be instructed to use the graphite lube? the clutch/driver should be sprayed with dry lube. Is the belt too loose? is the chain tight? do the sprockets look good?
Reading the link x-bird provided will educate you and provide the accurate info needed to install,maintain & repair the CVT system (youtube isn't always correct)- that site is also a good place for parts,spray lube,ect... when needed. Good luck