BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 03-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Contributor

Default Yerf dog 3203 problem

So today I took the yerf dog out for the first time and I had a problem with it. The problem is is that when you go slow it eill slowly die. Does any body know why? Thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 07:10 PM

Like the engine dies, or the kart slows down to a crawl but the engine keeps running??

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 PM

Does it stay running if you have full throttle and does it idle when you first start it!? just a little more info please.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Contributor

it idles fine when started but sometimes when you do full throttle when you are just sitting there it will try to go then die. But when you are driving then you stop and try to go or when you slow down then try to go it will crawl then die
Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Power User

if this still has the stock tecumseh motor and carb and the carb has been "fiddled" with, there's a chance that the throttle plate is opening too far. When that happens it actually begins to close again--there is no stop inside the carb body for the plate. How does it run when slowly advancing the gas and running at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Heavy Contributor

You may have to clean out ur carb jets etc. Real good. Sounds like not enough fuel going thru when you excelerate. Only when idling...Eddie.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Contributor

ok thanks and it doesnt really move at a quarter of a throttle and it takes some time at 1/2 but 3/4 it runs pretty good ill see if i can get a video when i ride it next
Old 03-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Contributor

we also just bought a new carb and its the same carb thats having problems. would me putting 901 octane fuel in it cause any thing

Last edited by hgibson; 03-20-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 PM

I was told that you're just wasting your money with those high octane gases, just try to make sure it's not an ethanol blend and at least 91 octane, and you're good to go!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Power User

i'm wondering f the governor lever isn't slipping on the shaft ... if you can, take some pics of the carb and throttle linkages behind the carb and air filter and post them. could also be junk in the fuel tank. are your running it with a filter?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Contributor

is the air filter supposed to be behind a black thing on the side of the motor and theres a nob you turn to take it off because if so theres no filter there and could it maybe be low on gas
Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 PM

I'm with X-bird now, we're gonna need some pic's , if you could.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Contributor

ok i dont think i can take pics but could it be low on gas
Old 03-22-2013, 06:16 AM
Power User

OK; here's the deal ... you might have a tecumseh 6.5 engine --stock on the yerf 3203. at this point we're not sure of that even. from what i remember of mine (now modified and on my daughter's buggy) the air filter was inside a rectangular plastic box on the end of the carb that was more of a plastic slide-in hinged cover with a pair of plastic stubs you squeezed together to open up the cover and remove. I dont' have any pictures of it in stock form to demonstrate with, but the tecmseh OHV65 engine manuals are available free online as .pdf downloads.

Yes, low fuel could cause the problems you describe, even more so if the fuel tank has a lot of gelled gas residue and other debris floating around in it. If you don't have a fuel filter on it, a dirty tank will cause repeat carburetor problems until it's cleaned out.

That said, post any numbers you find on the engine here and even the brand name if there is one, since the air filter having a knob doesn't sound stock unless its a 5 hp version and is actually one of the other yerf models that looks just like a 3203. Also, not having an air filter will mess up the airflow into the carb causing it to run rich and will also allow junk into the carb and engine leading to an early demise. so right off, you need a filter.

As an FYI, the throttle lever plate in combination with the multiple springs, carb and governor linkage all work together to limit the engine within it's power capabilities and provide throttle control. if anyone has messed with those springs andthe governor setup it can be a real bugger to get working correctly again.

Now, it also sounds like you're young, don't have much mechanical background or tools---at one point you stated something along the lines that your father iirc was looking the kart over. even with something as simple as cleaning the fuel tank out and cleaning the carb, you might want some direct assistance. On the forums we can only offer as much input and guidance as we can based on what we know about what you have. at this point we have no clue what the engine actually is and the condition of the various parts on it. pictures in situations like this are really essential for us to help you out.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Contributor

ok thanks xbird there isnt a filter in it ill order one monday and the motor is the stock tecaumseh motor. but how do you clean out the gas tank
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Contributor

its a 6.5 not a 5
Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Power User

Step one follow my instructions in this thread to get yourself a service manual.

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/sh...service+manual

Ok, good to know-- for the fuel tank, you should close the petcock to shut off the fuel supply to the carburetor, disconnect the hose on the side of the petcock closest to the carb and remove the tank so you can empty it into a safe container. add a little fresh gas itno it, slosh it around and empty again. repeat until there's no foreign debris in the tank. take all required safety precautions. i think the tank is a slide-and-lock deal with plastic split "feet" that go into a bracket on top of the engine and a cutout in the top of the flywheel cover. Then you should probably remove the carb and clean it.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Contributor

ok thanks but i cant find the engine model and number. Im also having trouble finding the right air filter because i dont have the motor number and model
Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Power User

you have a model ohh65, the manual should show all of the identical parts and give you part numbers as well.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Contributor

ok thanks